Ingestion of rat poison

Fact Checked

It is a known fact that rat poisons are comprised of chemicals that are harmful to children and pets. Majority of children under the age of six have been reported to ingest rat poison. Rat poisons are extremely lethal and must not be used around children and pets.

Types of rat poisons

Today, rat poisons are readily available in the market. It is available in various forms and the most common are the anticoagulant poisons. These contain two drugs such as brodifacoum and warfarin that can thin out the blood. Additionally, these drugs deplete the vitamin K present in the body. Always remember that vitamin K is needed by the body for the blood clotting process. If taken by a rat, it can lead to dehydration and eventually the rat goes into shock and dies from internal bleeding.

Other types of rat poisons include cholecalciferol and bromethalin. Take note that a single dose of bromethalin is lethal for rodents. This poison basically interferes with the functioning of the brain and spinal fluid, resulting to problems with the muscle contraction. As for cholecalciferol, it increases the calcium levels in rodents, leading to death by overdose.

The effects of rat poisons

rat poisoning
Difficulty breathing is one indication that an individual ingested rat poison.

Once rat poison is ingested, it can lead to the same effect on children and animals just like with rodents. These are some of the common side effects if rat poisons are ingested.

  • Bleeding gums
  • Abrupt nosebleeds
  • Blood in the urine
  • Blood-streaked diarrhea
  • Excessive bruising
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Hair loss
  • Bright-colored stool
  • Persistent cough

Treatment for rat poisoning

In case children or adults accidentally ingest any type of rat poison, it is important to immediately contact the poison control center. In most cases, vitamin K is commonly used when dealing with the anticoagulants present in rat poisons. With the administration of vitamin K, it can cause the blood to congeal or solidify. An injection of vitamin K is given by a doctor and if the condition of the individual stabilizes, vitamin K tablets are given.

The prescribed dose for treating humans is 5 milligrams of vitamin K. Activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac can be given as immediate treatment for poison ingestion. It is best to consult a doctor before giving any type of treatment for poison ingestion.

Always remember that rat poison is deadly if ingested. In case of a severe rat infestation, it is best to hire the services of a professional exterminator to handle the proper administration of the rat poison. If rat poison is used at home or in public places where young children and pets are present, extreme care should be taken to place the rat poison in areas that are out of reach.

Do not hesitate to call for emergency assistance right away if a child or adult accidentally ingested rat poison.

Was this post helpful?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional