What are the side effects of household mold?

Fact Checked

Mold is considered as a type of fungi that typically thrives in dark and moist environments. The most common indoor molds include penicillium, cladosporium, alternaria and aspergillus. The side effects caused by mold can occur due to the release of spores, irritants and toxic substances that are capable of eliciting an allergic reaction among individuals who are highly sensitive.

Usual side effects

The common side effects of household mold are usually mild but can become persistent after some time and can cause severe symptoms. The usual side effects experienced by many individuals include respiratory difficulty, coughing, itchiness, hives, rash, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes as well as wheezing and sinus pressure.


An allergy develops once the immune system erroneously overreacts to a particular allergen or trigger.

An allergy develops once the immune system erroneously overreacts to a particular allergen or trigger. Essentially, most allergens are harmless but inhaling or direct contact can cause an allergic reaction. Aspergillus, cladosporium and penicillium are the most prevalent molds linked with allergic reactions. The reactions can include runny nose, sneezing, skin rashes, eye irritation or dermatitis once the mold enters the lungs or attaches on the lining of the nose.

In a study conducted, there was enough evidence to connect upper respiratory tract symptoms to exposure to indoor mold among healthy individuals as well as among healthy children.


Household mold is capable of triggering asthma attacks once it travels to the lungs, including a serious condition called as allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillos that is triggered by Aspergillus fumigatus. Take note that exposure to this type of mold can elicit coughing, fever, wheezing and chronic lung disease especially if the individual have been previously given a diagnosis of cystic fibrosis or asthma. Being prepared to handle an asthma attack is possible by enrolling in a first aid class today.


Many individuals all over the world suffer from chronic sinusitis. These individuals were tested and came out with positive results for fungi in the mucus. In a study conducted, it revealed that there are various kinds of fungi present which causes the symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny nose, loss of smell and headache.

What are the toxic effects?

When an individual is exposed to toxic strains of mold such as Stachybotrys chartarum or black mold, it will expose the individual to mycotoxins. The mycotoxins are characterized as greenish-black mold that can trigger health issues upon inhalation or ingestion. These include skin rashes, respiratory illness, brain damage, memory problems even if an individual is healthy. Take note that this type of mold is quite common in water-damaged houses that are not fully repaired.

If the presence of mold is suspected, it is best to eliminate potential sources in order to prevent triggering an allergic reaction among highly sensitive individuals as well as reduce the risk of developing other health issues.

Was this post helpful?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top

  • All stmarkjamestraining.ca content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional