What are the effects of a wasp sting?

Fact Checked

Insects such as wasps, bees and ants can cause medical issues once they deliver a sting. It is a known fact that wasps deliver a sting once they are defending their territory and when their nests are disturbed. The common types of wasps are the yellow jacket, bald-faced hornet and paper wasp. A wasp sting is poisonous since the venom that is injected can result to severe allergic reactions.

If a wasp sting is sustained, the muscles that surround the venom sac are responsible for injecting the venom into the body. Once the venom is injected, the individual will experience an intense stinging sensation that is followed by redness, swelling and itchiness. After a while, the individual will notice a large red area on the skin where the sting was delivered. In rare cases, a bacterial skin infection can occur. Individuals who are allergic to the stings can suffer from severe medical issues and even death if not treated as soon as possible.

Allergic reactions

Wasp sting
If an individual is stung by a wasp in the throat or mouth, swelling can obstruct the airway, thus making it difficult to breathe.

It is a known fact that serious medical problems and even death can result from a wasp sting. This can occur due to a severe allergic reaction in which the immune system of the individual is sensitive to the venom. As a result, the body will overreact and an allergic reaction occurs.

Within an hour after the wasp sting was delivered, an allergic reaction can occur. During this time, most deaths from wasp stings are known to occur. Several stings will increase the danger of the allergic reaction. On the other hand, severe allergic reactions and deaths were only caused by a single sting for a wasp.

Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction include swelling of the throat, hives, nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, rashes and faintness. In case any of these symptoms manifest, the individual must be given immediate emergency care.

What are the non-allergic reactions?

Once a wasp sting is delivered to an individual who is not allergic to the venom, the reaction to the sting is usually minor. Nevertheless, if several wasps sting the individual, it can lead to kidney failure, breakdown of muscle and other problems. Major issues can also occur among individuals who are not allergic to the wasp venom depending on the area where they are stung. If an individual is stung by a wasp in the throat or mouth, swelling can obstruct the airway, thus making it difficult to breathe.

Aside from the location of the body where the sting was delivered, other factors that determine the reaction include the number of times the individual was stung and if he/she is allergic to the wasp sting.

Treatment for a wasp sting

If an individual sustained a wasp sting, the stinger must be removed from the sting site. The area must be washed with water and soap. Apply an antibiotic cream or ointment on the site to prevent further infection. In case the individual does not develop symptoms of an allergic reaction, he/she must be given antihistamine in order to sooth the itchiness of the sting as well as over-the-counter medications for pain such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Ice can also be rubbed over the sting site to minimize the swelling.

Was this post helpful?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top

  • All stmarkjamestraining.ca content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional