Symptoms of black mold exposure

Fact Checked

Black mold has been known to cause detrimental effects on the health especially if the spores are inhaled. Even though the effects of exposure to black mold have been exaggerated, it poses a real danger. It is important that you are well aware of the symptoms so that you can easily recognize them once they start to manifest as well as delivering appropriate first aid measures and treatment.

An introduction to black mold

Black mold is a specific type of mold spore that thrives on materials that contain cellulose such as wood if exposed to constant moisture. Most types of mold are black but it does not necessarily mean that it is the so-called black mold. Take note that its characteristic color is actually greenish-black.

Based on early reports, the public was reassured that only a small percentage of homes have the toxic mold. Nevertheless, it was later on discovered that black mold poses as a big problem. With this in mind, it is vital to be familiar with the symptoms of black mold exposure so that you will recognize the symptoms once they start to manifest.

Symptoms of black mold exposure

black mold exposure
Headache is one of the symptoms if an individual is exposed to black mold.

The most common symptoms of black mold exposure are similar to the symptoms of cold or flu which is why it is difficult to recognize. The following symptoms will manifest if the individual was exposed to black molds:

  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Constant fatigue
  • Diarrhea
  • General feeling of illness
  • Rashes or hair loss in some cases

What makes these symptoms different from a common cold or flu is that they will not go away over time.

Complications of black mold exposure

Individuals who have allergies, lung disease or asthma will face more problems if they are exposed to black mold. An exposure will eventually lead to respiratory problems such as wheezing, coughing or difficulty breathing. Additionally, it can even exacerbate the current conditions, thus worsening the actual problem than the current exposure to the mold.

Prevent exposure to black mold

For households facing mold problems, it simply means that there is excess moisture present. The initial step is to determine first where it is and deal with it so that the growth of black molds can be controlled and even prevented from spreading.

When eliminating black molds, it is the same way when dealing with any mold. All you need is a solution comprised of a one cup of bleach in one gallon of water. This will work best on hard surfaces while absorbent or porous surfaces such as carpet should be disposed of. Always remember that you have to eliminate all the mold spores since even the dead spores can cause allergic reactions. Make sure that there is adequate ventilation, use safety goggles and gloves and do not combine bleach with ammonia. In case you are uncertain on how to deal with black molds, you might want to get in touch with a professional.

Was this post helpful?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional